DISTRICT X

 

BARANGAY CENTRAL WEST

 

BRIEF HISTORY

The town of Bauang was established as a settlement in 1590 and it was officially recognized as a town in 1765 with Don Francisco de los Reyes as the first gobernadorcillo. Bauang then was part of the province of Pangasinan until the year 1850 when the province of La Union was created and that Bauang was one of the twelve towns that formed the province.

Originally Bauang has a poblacion located at the heart of the town proper. In 1970’s by virtue of the passage of a barrio charter, the poblacion was divided into two barangays, called Central Este and Central Oeste. These two barangays were added to the twenty six (26) barangays of Bauang that were officially recognized long time before the term of office of the late Alcalde Mayor Don Romegio Sanchez. The barangays were Acao, Baccuit, Bagbag, Ballay, Bawanta, Boy-utan, Bucayab, Cabalayangan, Calumbaya, Central Este, Central Oeste, Dili, Limmansangan, Nagrebcan, Pagdalagan, Palintucang, Parian, Paringao, Pottot, Payocpoc, Quinavite, San Agustin, Santiago, Santa Monica, Urayong and Taberna.

Successive creations of barangays of Bauang were done during the term of offices of the late Mayor, Delfin R. Florendo and Romeo M. De Guzman. The town now have thirty nine (39) barangays with eleven (11) recognized sitios, namely Polipol of Pottot, Dalingo, Katayagan, Ramaoan, Bugnay, Baratao and Dupacpac of Acao; Meding and Loob of San Agustin; Cumpadas and Lugnac of Santiago; Las-ud and Kikiyate which are still unrecognized of Central Oeste.

 It is worth to mention that Sitio Las-ud is a center place of barangays Central Oeste, Pugo and Taberna in which the sitio was a basis of the old folks under the leaderships of the late Barrio Tenyentes; Porferio Dumpit, Pablo Navarro, Pablo Calica and Cirilo Baniña to organize an association called “PULATA” meaning Pugo, Parian and Taberna. The organization has a patron saint, Vicente de Ferrer with yearly celebrations of its feast day on the 15th day of May.

 This is barangay Central Oeste with a sitio las-ud. Every passerby called it the “Gateway of No Return”, for they believed in the verses of the Holy Scriptures, which says. “For I shall not pass this way again”. Hence, Central Oeste is in contrast from other barangays, for it has big commercial centers and business oriented tourist establishments that bring economic development of the barangay.