Socio Economic Profile
|A. Peace & Order / Protective Services
The municipality remains to be a very peaceful town conducive to progress and development. This is attributed to the effective and efficient coordination of the local government and the local police force coupled with the active participation and support of the populace.Bauang is among the municipalities all over the country that has the lowest yearly crime volume.
B. Health & Nutrition
*Source of Data: Municipal Health Office
Pre-school (0-5 years old)
Of the 8,245 children weighed, 93.57% or 7,715 children have normal and above normal weights. The remaining 6.43% or 530 children have below normal weights.
Barangay Pugo has the lowest malnutrition rate at 1.83%, followed by Barangays Carmay (1.89%); Central West (2.10%), Dili (2.22%), and Payocpoc Sur (2.47%).
On the other hand, Barangay Urayong has the highest malnutrition rate at 16.41%, followed by Barangays Palintucang (13.73%); Payocpoc Norte Este (13.33%); Bucayab (12.84%), and Palugsi-Limmansangan (11.73%).
Infant Mortality Rate/Mortality Rate of Children Aged 1-5
In 2010, twenty-two (22) infants died due to various causes. Data show that Infant Mortality Rate considerably increased from 7.14% to 16.57% per 1,000 live births between 2009 and 2010. The Municipal Health Office recorded twelve (12) deaths due to prematurity and seven (7) due to pneumonia.
Likewise, the mortality rate of children aged 1-5 is still very low at .087%.
CAUSES OF INFANT MORTALITY: CY2009-2010
Maternal Mortality Rate
No maternal death was recorded in 2009 and 2010.
C. Commerce & Trade
Crop production is typically rice-based produced in 1,722 hectares. Most of the palay are produced in rainfed areas which constitute 81.42%, the rest are produced in irrigated areas totalling only around 320 hectares.
The Bauang Beach, which is characterized with fine grayish sand beach, is the major drawing tourist appeal of the area extending from Barangay Pagdalagan Sur to Barangay Baccuit. Several beach resorts continually dotted the shoreline with about 12 foremost tourist accommodation facilities.
D. Water & Power Supply
E. Transportation & Communication
All 39 Baranggays can be accessed by either paved or gravel roads
AIRPORT and SEAPORT
Close to San Fernando Airport & Seaport which is about 20- 25 minutes from Bauang town proper.
Advanced communication facilities (digital landlines, cable, internet providers, cellsites)
Location of PLDT’s International Cable Landing Station of the Asia-America Gateway (AAG) Fiber Optic System.
* AAG will provide a welcome boost to BPOs, call centers and other growth industries that depend on advanced telecommunications services and thus further propel the country’s economic development.
The teacher to pupil ratio as well as classroom to pupil ratio is within the standard of 1:45. This signifies that the municipality has adequate teachers and classrooms at the elementary level. However, with a classroom to pupil ratio of 1:50, more classrooms were needed at the secondary level.
G. Industries, Infrastructure Facilities and Utilities
1590 Energy Corporation
The Bauang Diesel Power Plant formerly owned by the Bauang Private Power Corporation (BPPC) is a diesel-fired power plant which commenced operations in July 1995 with a 215 MW-capacity. State-owned National Power Corporation and the First Private Power Corp. (FPPC) entered into a Build-Operate-Transfer Agreement for the BPCC for a period of 15 years.
On July 26, 2010, after the BOT expiration, it was turned-over to the NAPOCOR and the Power Sector Assets and Liabilities Management Corp. (PSALM) and later to the Provincial Government of La Union. BothViviant Energy Corporation and Gigawatt Power, Inc. under the 1590 Energy Corp. presently operates the Bauang power facility provide the much-needed additional supply to the Luzon grid.
Major facilities inside the plant include a substation, two 100,000 bbl steel fuel storage tanks, sludge treatment plant, and five auxillary buildings consisting of an administration building (812 sq.m), maintenance building (981 sq.m), warehouse building (591 sq.m), guest house (583 sq.m), bunk house (660 sq.m), and a canteen (550 sq.m).
The world’s largest medium speed power station in Bauang maintains an IMS certification for ISO 9901:2000, ISO 14001:2004, and OHSAS 18001 from Certification International.
PLDT Asia-Pacific Cable Network (APCN) in Baccuit Sur
A Digital Optical Cable System for telecommunications services linking Hongkong, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Taiwan, Thailand, Singapore, and the Philippines is strategically located at the coastline barangay of Baccuit Sur in Bauang, La Union.
The world-class facility, owned by the Philippine Long Distance Telecommunications Company, aims to benefit the users of telecommunications services and consequently stimulate the rapid expansion of business and government intercourse between the Philippines and the foreign countries to be served.